By Richard Ryan
This book demonstrates more how Ryan is a "master" of self promotion than anything else. Master Of The Blade reads like a dry cell phone manual, highlighting old techniques as if they are new and improved and touting new but useless tools.
Where it differs from a manual is in how it spends enormous amounts of ink bashing every other method only to place itself as the one true way to fight with a knife (in some ways fight at all). Some of the cover praise talks about a scientific approach to self defense. If coming up with your own fancy names for things (Dynamic Combat System) qualifies as scientific then I am a the rocket scientist of Simulated Hitting Involved with Theatricality (S.H.I.T.).
Before it seems like I have a one way ticket on the negativity express, I do applaud his gusto in developing what works for him. I also think the book can provide hope, because if he can be "successful" then there Is no reason why anyone else cant be to. My biggest qualm is the idea bashing mentioned above.
If you hate martial arts and are drawn to type Omega A personalities then this is your book.
If you are looking for an honest look at knife fighting and violence, go read stuff by Marc "animal" Macyoung.
Greg
"And That's Real"
No comments:
Post a Comment