Have you ever been to an Society of American Fight Directors workshop?
If you’re answer is no, and you have a interest in stage combat and staged violence, and since you’re reading this blog I’m going to assume that you do have, at least, a passing interesting in stage combat and stage violence, I have one word of advice – Go.
No, wait, two words - Go now. I hear there’s on in January that’s supposed to be pretty cool.
If you’re answer is yes, you know why I have given the above advice. If you’re answer is yes, you’ve probably have just been to a workshop, waiting til your next workshop or are at a workshop right now. If you answer is yes, you know the mixed feelings of excitement for you just learned, motivation to pursue new ideas, and loss of the new friends you have made within the larger SAFD family.
If you can’t tell I have recently returned from the workshop. And it was a blast! …well almost. And this makes my point.
Three of the four days were great. Filled with friends and fighting. I got to take some amazing classes including Denise Hurd’s First Folio Fighting, and Pick It Up Quick with the amazing Ian Rose (next time you're at a workshop where those offered, take them). At nights I got to see old friends, drink and be merry.
Then Saturday came around…
Like all SAFD regional workshops I had been following the steady code of ‘Fight. Drink. Repeat.’ So by the time Saturday rolled around I was a little slow getting out of bed. This caused me to decide not to get breakfast considering I did have a bag of almonds I had purchased just the other day. When I got to the workshop I quickly checked to see what I had to do, as it was not much, I filled my water bottle and opened the bag of almonds. Big mistake. About a minute before the first class began I started to feel the soles of my feet were itchy. Not only that but I felt my face was a little bit swollen. I quickly to the bathroom to see for myself and sure enough I was swelling up around my eyes. Walking back and into the armory/staff room I was quickly asked, “Adam, are you alright?”
“No.” I quickly replied, “I think I’m having an allergy attack.” Being allergic to cats, horses, penicillin and now apparently almonds, I kind of know the feeling.
Now I had recently experienced another massive allergy attack like the one I was having a few months prior. At that time I was alone in my apartment and definitely freaking out a bit, so much so that I manage to jam an EpiPen into my thumb. This time, surrounded by friends, a few who had medical experience, I was quickly cared for and got some benedryll into myself. All would be well… eventually. Of course I would have to go through the phases of looking like Rocky and I had just gone 12 rounds, having the desire to itch every part of my body at the same time for a couple of hours, and having my skin resemble a ripe tomato... but all would be well.
You maybe asking yourself, ‘Why the fuck did he eat those almonds?’ This would be an excellent question had I known I was allergic to almonds in the first place. Having a second but similar attack with raw almonds as the only constant I discovered I was allergic to almonds. Don’t worry, you’re not the only ones. I had this conversation several times:
Person X – Oh my god, you look awful!
Me – Yeah, I know.
Person X – What happened?
Me – I’m having a massive allergy attack.
Person X – From what?
Me – Almonds (side note: I probably could have been clearer here)
Person X – Oh man, what’d you eat that had almonds in it?
Me – (pause) Almonds.
Person X – Why did you eat the almonds?
Me – seriously?
Okay, so I didn’t say that last line. I had a number of responses. But having the same conversation again and again, well, it made me chuckle, cause I was happy to have that repetitive conversation. Even though the day sucked it was much better than the previous allergy attack because of who I was with. That and I didn't get EpiPen in the thumb. So that was a plus.
The benedryll finally kicked in and totally kicked my ass out for the day but I came back on Sunday and closed out the workshop strong. There’s something to be said for a place you can go, have a major allergy attack, and walk away feeling great. I really did have a blast. And it was because I with fellow friends and fighters when the almonds came to destroy me. It was because I was at a place learning the craft I loved surrounded by those who love it just as much as I. The community and family that is instantly created and reinforced workshop after workshop is the real reason people keep coming back.
Stage Combat is not a unique craft to the SAFD. There are a number of other societies, teachers and choreographers not affiliated with any society. No matter where they are, or who they are affiliated with, all good stage combat instructors and practitioners have something to offer the craft. What we get offered with the SAFD is more than just the craft. It’s the community and family as well. A fight family.
Just another simple reason why I fight and why I fight with the SAFD.
A blog from the Fight Jam Scrappers sharing their perspectives on stage combat, violence, entertainment, and the psychology of such. Fight Jam Chicago exists to promote an interest and understanding of stage combat, explore new ideas and techniques to enliven and approach violence on stage, to maintain and hone hard earned skills and techniques, to have a rockin' good time with friends in the stage combat community, all on a donation basis!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment