Not that I want to be seen as a shill for the movie industry, but this seemed like a good place that on December 10 the new film "The Fighter" will be debuting in theaters. The film stars a couple of my favorite film actors (Mark Walberg, Christian Bale) and is directed by David O. Russel, who I will forever remember as the man who gave us "Three Kings" and "I Heart Huckabees."
I haven't seen the film yet, but the critical buzz has been almost overwhelmingly positive. I thought I'd mention it because for better or worse, "The Fighter" will soon be joining the ranks of that many, many, many films about guys who make their living in the ring.
Movies about boxers are an interesting lot. Inevitably tales about down-and-out underdogs ("Rocky," "Million Dollar Baby," "Cinderella Man"), often poor or the children or recent immigrants, who use their pugilistic skills to carve out a bit of the American dream, or at least a little dignity.
In any case, I thought I'd list out some of the best boxing films out there before folks check out "The Fighter."
"Rocky" (1976). A film that needs no introduction. Written and starring Sylvester Stallone before he became an over-exposed action movie has-been (Okay, I'm looking forward to "The Expendables" too, I confess) and director by John G. Avildsen. This Oscar winner introduced audiences to Rocky Balboa, a struggling boxer from South Philly who gets his chance to go the distance, and wins the girl (Talia Shire) to boot. Skip the sequels (except for 2006's "Rocky Balboa").
"Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956). Boxing aside, this one is a must-see for film buffs. Directed by Robert Wise and starring Paul Newman in one of his best roles as real-life boxer Rocky Graziano. The film is also notable for some virtuoso camerawork in the boxing scenes; really impressive for the time.
"Raging Bull" (1980). Some sports movies are those quintessential triumphs of the human spirit, uplifting tales that leave you smiling and feeling better about yourself. This is NOT that movie. Martin Scorsese directed this black and white dramatization of the life of heavyweight champ Jake LaMotta as a meditation on human brutality and male insecurities, pretty vividly brought to life by Robert DeNiro in the lead role. Probably features one of the least likable onscreen fighters you're ever going to see, but a pretty fascinating account of human behavior, in and outside of the ring.
"Million Dollar Baby" (2004). Here's my take. I think the film is waayy overrated, Clint Eastwood's spare direction is serviceable but uninspired and his self-directed performance is as one-note as all his others. Yet, the movie had me crying my eyes out at the end when I saw it. Some folks have told me that "Girlfight" (2000) is a much better drama set in the world of female boxing, but MDB is still solid drama, making you root for Hillary Swank's desperate, struggling boxer.
No comments:
Post a Comment