Thursday, March 17, 2011

Think Tank Thursday: Street Mentality

Thankfully, many of us have not needed to develop the protective mental shell that is a "street" mindset.

We are sometimes asked to portray characters that have needed to do so, however. This can be a very difficult task if you did not grow up looking over your shoulder every day. At some point, after seeing violence touch your friends and family, you either have to give up and let it consume you or build a wall, make a decision that tells everyone, "I won't let anyone kill me without me killing them first, no matter what."

This mindset trumps any training and just about any weapon. People with this mindset can take intense trauma and injury and keep pushing to either survive or last long enough to take the other person out. It is now a key mantra taught to our military and law enforcement heroes, "You aren't dead until you are dead." Keep pushing until you black out and absolutely can't push anymore.

That is street mentality. Even when defending you are attacking. It is a mindset that you will prevail no matter what. You walk a fine line with being cocky. Cockiness, however, involves thinking you will win easily or won't be hurt. Cockiness involves underestimating and disrespecting violence. Street accepts the nasty, the shit, the hurt. Street embraces the firestorm and uses it.

The next time you are called upon to portray a "street" mentality focus on the ideas. Physicality alone will look forced and fake. Focusing on "No matter how much you hurt me, no matter how much blood I may lose, no matter how much training you have, or what weapon you choose, I will endure it, I will chase you down, and I will win" will inform and influence all you need.

Greg Poljacik

No comments:

Post a Comment